academics

Students participate in new program in New York City

Students from the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications are taking their studies to the Big Apple for the first time this semester.

In collaboration with its network of alumni in the communications industry, Newhouse has established a campus program in New York City. The program began this fall semester, and will continue to run every fall semester.

Cheryl Brody Franklin, the director of the Newhouse in New York program, said she is extremely excited for its launch this semester, and that she is already receiving a lot of positive feedback.

The program is open to all of the eight majors in Newhouse, and Franklin stressed that it is an academic program, not an internship program. Students take Newhouse classes just as they would in Syracuse, and may take College of Arts and Sciences classes online if they wish as well.

However, she said students also have the chance to interact with professionals and intern three times a week at prestigious communications institutions in the city such as Cosmopolitan, DeVries and Hearst Public Relations.

Students are also paired up with a mentor who works in their industry. The mentor is a Newhouse alum and serves as a support system for the students.

Franklin added that students in the program live at 1760 3rd Ave., which is an Educational Housing Services dorm. The dorm, she said, is a very convenient distance from their classes in the Fisher Center, which is SU’s academic building in the city.

The housing cost for this program is $6,875, which is a little bit more expensive than housing at Syracuse, she added. Brody said students who are from or live near the city are welcome to live at home and commute to classes every day on their own.

“But, the real difference is that you’re now living in New York City — a big city — versus Syracuse — a small college town,” Franklin said. “For example, a slice of pizza in Syracuse might cost you almost $2, whereas in New York City it would cost you $2.80.”

Andrew Muckell, a student in the program and a Daily Orange staff writer, is a senior television, radio and film major interning at The Colbert Report.

Muckell said that the only downside of the program is that life in Syracuse was much easier and much more comfortable than it is in NYC. Nonetheless, he said the experience has taught him how to be smarter with his time and how to live on his own and be independent. He added that the program’s location in NYC provides students the opportunity to meet all kinds of people from all walks of life.

Kaitlyn Frey, a junior magazine and political science major in the NYC program, is interning at Cosmopolitan.

Frey said she loves having the opportunity to intern at her dream job while still taking classes. She said there are more internship opportunities and less competition during school semesters, which gives students the chance to get a lot of personal attention.

“Everyone involved in the program, especially the alumni, is so willing to help you with anything you need,” she said. “Whether it’s advice about your resume or cover letter, about how to make it in an internship or about how not to get lost on the subway, everyone is so helpful.”

Frey said she was also excited about upcoming visits to the TIME.com and the Google and Twitter buildings, where they will be able to meet with all their digital directors.

Franklin said only seven students applied this semester, but she is anticipating a lot of growth for next year.