Men's Soccer

Syracuse shuts out Clemson, improves to 6-1 on the season

Another game, another shutout for Syracuse.

On Saturday night at Riggs Field in Clemson, South Carolina, the No. 23 Orange (6-1, 1-1 Atlantic Coast) put on a defensive exhibition, recording its sixth shutout of the season en route to a 1-0 victory over the Tigers (3-4, 1-2 ACC).

“A very gutsy performance today,” Syracuse head coach Ian McIntyre said. “I thought we really limited Clemson’s opportunities … Overall, a great result in a difficult environment and to get vital ACC points on the road is a fantastic achievement.”

McIntyre said with hot field conditions in South Carolina, the team needed to “dig deep” and used the energy of reserves Alex Halis, Noah Rhynhart, Chris Makowski, Louis Cross and Stefanos Stamoulacatos.

The coach also said defenders Skylar Thomas, Tyler Hilliard and Jordan Murrell “put their bodies on the line.”

Fifteen minutes into the match, Syracuse forward Emil Ekblom scored his team-leading fourth goal of the season to give the Orange a 1-0 lead. Left back Jordan Murrell sent a cross into the box from just a step inside the midfield line, which Ekblom controlled with his shoulder. While being grabbed by Tigers defender Phanuel Kavita, Ekblom swung his right foot at the ball and kicked it into the goal on a bounce.

“Getting that early goal gave us something to hang on to,” McIntyre said. 

SU goalkeeper Alex Bono recorded six saves in the match. The junior’s first came on a sprawling save ten minutes into the match and two came in the last five minutes of regulation.

Syracuse entered the match tied with six other schools for the national lead in fewest goals allowed this season. The Orange ranks second nationally in goals-against average (0.17), team save percentage (.950) and leads the country in shutout percentage (.830).

With Saturday’s result, SU most likely will jump to first in several of those categories.

Said McIntyre: “It took a tremendous amount of character and guts and to grind out the result tonight was fantastic.”