NCAA investigation

NCAA investigation reportedly involves internship hours, connections between Syracuse athletes, Tri-Valley YMCA

An internship program involving Syracuse athletes and their connection with Tri-Valley YMCA in Oneida, New York is part of the NCAA’s inquiry in its investigation of Syracuse Athletics, the Post-Standard reported Monday afternoon.

The NCAA concluded its investigation at a hearing in Chicago last month and Syracuse is awaiting the announcement of violations, if any, which the NCAA said would be announced 30–60 days after the investigation came to an end.

The documentation of hours completed by athletes for internships at the YMCA, along with who was responsible for approving those hours, is included in the possible violations, The Post-Standard reported.

The internship under question was part of a requirement to graduate with a degree in child and family studies, a popular major among Syracuse University athletes. Eighteen percent of football players were enrolled in that major from 2004–05, the time in which investigators are looking at, according to The Post-Standard.

Hank Leo, the chief executive officer of the Tri-Valley YMCA and a former tutor for Syracuse football, attended the NCAA hearing last month, Leo’s lawyer, Robert Whitaker, told The Post-Standard. Whitaker also told The Post-Standard that the NCAA didn’t accuse the YMCA of any faults.

But the former sports director of Tri-Valley YMCA, Jeff Cornish, is the one under investigation for providing extra benefits to SU men’s basketball and football players, The Post-Standard reported.

The Post-Standard also obtained a lawsuit that shows the YMCA sued Cornish in state Supreme Court in 2008. It claimed that Cornish set up a bank account using the YMCA’s not-for-profit tax ID number without permission and redirected possibly as much as $338,462 for his own use. It’s unknown how much of or if this money was used or if any was given to SU athletes, the Post-Standard added.

The YMCA had close ties with Syracuse athletes, and the athletes participated in charity events to raise funds for the YMCA, the Post-Standard reported, but specified that it is unknown whether any of these events are part of the investigation.