Crime

Former SU student pleads guilty to drug charges in connection to death of SU alumnus at Electric Zoo

A former Syracuse University student pleaded guilty to drug charges in Manhattan federal court on Thursday. The drugs he sold were believed to be responsible for killing another SU alumnus at the Electric Zoo music festival in 2013.

Patrick Morgan, 24, was arrested in Buffalo on July 30, on narcotics distribution charges.

“With today’s guilty plea, Patrick Morgan now stands convicted of conspiring to distribute the drug Molly, which led to the tragic death of Jeffery Russ,” said Manhattan U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara in a statement. “This office remains committed to aggressively pursuing and prosecuting those who peddle this extremely dangerous drug.”

Morgan pleaded guilty to selling more than $1,000 worth of MDMA – about 80 molly pills – to Russ, a 2012 SU graduate. Morgan studied biochemistry at SU before he dropped out. He had also previously sold Russ molly pills for an electronic dance music concert in Buffalo, New York before Russ’s death.

U.S. District Judge Edgardo Ramos will sentence Morgan on March 13, 2015, according to a release from the Manhattan U.S. Attorney’s office. Morgan faces a maximum term of 20 years in prison.