Letters to the Editor

NYPIRG’s higher education project fights for affordability

Higher education is becoming less affordable and accessible for students at private and public institutions in the U.S. Tuition cost continues to skyrocket, while textbook prices are increasing 3 times the rate of inflation and student loan debt has topped $1 trillion nationwide.

As the 2015 legislative session is underway, NYPIRG will work with students to build student power and send a strong message to our politicians that we need significant reforms in higher education policy and funding.

This year’s state budget offers some relief. Gov. Andrew Cuomo has proposed a “Get On Your Feet Loan Forgiveness Program” which allows eligible college students to have their loan payments covered by the state for the first two years after they graduate. Students eligible would have to be participants in the federal government’s “Pay As You Earn” program, earn less than $50,000 and agree to live in New York state.

Although a step in the right direction, much more action needs to be taken. The state’s 40 year old Tuition Assistance Program needs to be modernized. For example: TAP automatically reduces award size when students are in their third and fourth year of college, it doesn’t cover graduate students and it limits awards to no more than eight semesters.

With social media becoming a main vehicle for awareness, our generation has created high levels of involvement with political issues. The digital age has raised our participation in the activist process and gives us new opportunities to generate support for things we care about.

Increasing social networking activity is an amazing way to bring light to the issue and to generate support, but it can only go so far in creating a difference. The best way to see the changes we envision is to get involved.

We have a unique opportunity coming up: to actually speak in person with those who decide where our future lies. On Feb. 26th NYPIRG is coordinating Higher Education Action Day. The day allows SU students to meet with our legislators in Albany. Participating with students and faculty from across the state, we can really make a difference joining together and making our voice heard.

So join the movement and take action. If you are interested, email bsmead@nypirg.org or come to our weekly chapter meeting held on Thursdays at 6:30 p.m., 732 S. Crouse Ave. 2nd floor for more information.

Sincerely,
Julia Spector
NYPIRG Intern
Amnesty International at SU President