Letters to the Editor

Students should take part in Divestment Week

Divest SU, a campaign that aims to encourage Syracuse University to withdraw its investments from fossil fuels, will be hosting Divestment Week at SU from Feb. 9–14, 2015.

World-renowned author and environmentalist Bill McKibben incited the fossil fuel campaign at SU when he gave a speech here on Oct. 10, 2012. Since that date, the Divest SU campaign has held countless events and rallies and has moved our campus closer to true sustainability.

This will be the first ever Divestment Week at SU. During this week, there will be events every day celebrating fossil fuel divestment as well as environmental sustainability. All events are free and open to the public.

On Monday, Feb. 9, join Divest SU to kick off Divestment Week at Divest Fest, a celebration of climate and social justice. Divest Fest will be held from 6–11pm in Nifkin Lounge on the ESF campus. This event will feature speakers, live music and free food provided by local establishments such as King David’s and Appethaizing.

On Tuesday, Feb. 10, join Students of Sustainability at SU for a screening of the award-winning environmental documentary “Above All Else.” After the screening, the director of the documentary, John Fiege, will host a question-and-answer session.

On Wednesday, Feb. 11, the Syracuse University chapter of REACT to Film will be holding a screening of the Academy Award nominated film “Virunga” at 8:15 p.m. in Newhouse 1, room 141. Divest SU encourages all students to attend this event as this film brings to light much of the violence and destruction caused by oil companies that SU invests in.

On Thursday and Friday, Divest SU will be tabling in Bird Library from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. This is an excellent opportunity for students and members of the SU community to learn more about the fossil fuel divestment campaign at SU.

Don’t let yourself become a slacktivist. The fossil fuel companies that SU invests in destroy our planet and create horrific social injustices. Furthermore, they are not a stable investment as our global economy moves off of coal and oil and towards renewable energy. It may not seem like much, but divestment is a tactic that gives students the power to have a say in their future.
Students should attend one or more of the events during Divestment Week and take the first step towards invoking global change.

Emma Edwards
Senior, Geography and Policy Studies
Divest SU