Thirsty Thursday

Golden IPA contains hoppy, delicious flavors

Keegan Barber | Staff Photographer

Brew Free! or Die IPA contains a bold flavor to match its bold packaging. The beer has a citrusy taste that balances the hoppy flavor. The beer woud go well with a burger.

Bold design. Bold name. Bold flavor. That’s the best way to describe the BREW FREE! OR DIE IPA from the 21st Amendment Brewery based in San Francisco. This beer is unapologetically courageous, in more ways than one.

It all starts with the appearance, which is sure to draw your attention as it sits on the shelves. An animated Mount Rushmore covers the majority of this can with Abraham Lincoln breaking away from the mountain, looking as if he’s about to punch you.

The name of the beer is firmly positioned in all capital letters, followed by a description of the taste. Cracking open the can doesn’t feel elegant, but as soon as the beer pours into a glass it reveals its beautiful golden color and tall head. The first thing you smell is the malt, followed by some sweet, citrusy tones.

The citrusy notes also come through in the flavor, which balances out the heavy flavor of hops nicely. One of my biggest complaints of IPA is that the malt and hop flavors overwhelm the palate, making it hard to drink. But this beer goes down extremely easy. It’s only lightly carbonated and has a slight, but pleasant aftertaste.

For someone who really doesn’t like IPAs, I really enjoy this beer. In fact, it’s one of the best beers I’ve ever had, even with its strong, hoppy flavor. This beer would go well with a big, juicy burger. The beer would act as a refreshing palate cleanser between bites and the two would compliment each other well.

Everything about this beer is truly American (except for the fact that it’s an India Pale Ale). American presidents grace the label, its name was the rallying cry during the American Revolution and the name of the brewery is taken directly from the American Constitution, playing off the amendment that reversed prohibition in the United States. So grab a BREW FREE! OR DIE IPA, play “America the Beautiful” on your stereo, and enjoy one of the best American IPAs around.