Culture

Pulp’s Thirsty Thursday beat writer shares favorite springtime mixed drinks

Photo illustration by Frankie Prijatel | Photo Editor

As Pulp’s Thirsty Thursday beat writer and also a former bartender, I can tell you that this is the time of year when customers trade in their beers, spiced rum and mocha-inspired drinks for lighter, more refreshing flavors that pair best with a trip to the beach and some fresh air. Here are a few recipes for drinks that you’ll want to try as the snow melts and you come out of hibernation:

Strawberry-lemon mojitos
As the weather gets warmer, tropical drinks become more in season, and the refreshing taste of mint in these mojitos makes them the perfect drink for spring.

032415_P_Drink2CUTOUT_FrankiePrijatel_PE 

What you’ll need:
• 8 lemon wedges
• 24 mint leaves
• 4 strawberries, plus 2 halved strawberries for garnish
• Ice cubes
• 8 ounces gold or aged rum
• 3 ounces fresh lemon juice
• 2 ounces honey or maple syrup

How to make:
Using a cocktail shaker or an adequately-sized plastic Tupperware, muddle the lemon wedges with the whole strawberries and mint leaves. Add ice and the rum, lemon juice and sugarcane syrup, and shake well. Strain into crushed ice–filled highball glasses. Garnish with the berry halves and mint sprigs.

What to pair it with:
The mojito would be great alongside some fish tacos topped with a mango salsa.

—Recipe from foodandwine.com

Strawberry margaritas
Sun, relaxation, fresh air and margaritas go together like peanut butter and jelly. This icy drink is sure to cool you down once the temperatures begin to rise.

032415_P_Drink1CUTOUT_FrankiePrijatel_PE

What you’ll need:
• 2 ounces triple sec
• 1 1/2 ounces tequila
• 2 ounces lime juice
• 2 1/2 ounces sweet strawberry juice
• Fresh strawberries for garnish

How to make:
Combine the tequila, triple sec, strawberry juice and lime juice with ice inside a cocktail shaker or plastic Tupperware. Shake well for 30 seconds. Pour over ice and squeeze in lime slices and add a few strawberries.

What to pair it with:
The margarita would pair best with some chips and salsa to help the drink stay true to its Mexican roots. ​

—Recipe from howsweeteats.com

Watermelon-cucumber refresher
This drink will bring you back to your childhood when you’d sit outside in the spring with a plate full of watermelon slices, but without the seed-spitting contests.

032415_P_Drink3CUTOUT_FrankiePrijatel_PE

What you’ll need:
• 1 1/2 ounces vodka
• 1/2 ounces triple sec
• 1/2 ounces watermelon-cucumber-mint juice
• 1/2 ounces fresh lime juice

How to make:
Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a watermelon, or cucumber slice and/or a sprig of mint.

What to pair it with:
The watermelon-cucumber refresher is best served after eating a light salad or a plate of fresh fruit.

—Recipe from www.thekitchn.com