Conservative

Salman: Cruz unlikely to become GOP frontrunner, despite track record

On Monday March 23, 2015 at midnight, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) announced his candidacy for the 2016 presidential race via Twitter “I’m running for president and I hope to earn your support,” attached with a video advertisement for his campaign. He later formally declared his candidacy at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia. Cruz is the first to formally declare his intent to run for president.

Cruz has an impeccable resume: he is a Princeton and Harvard grad, former Supreme Court clerk, longest serving solicitor general of Texas and he played a monumental part in the Bush v. Gore case in 2000 by assembling Bush’s legal team, not to mention becoming the first Hispanic senator from Texas. Despite breaking barriers and making milestones, it is unlikely that he will win both the GOP nomination and the presidency.

In Cruz’s announcement video, he alluded to Reagan’s memorable 1984 campaign advertisement, “Prouder, Better, Stronger.” Both Cruz’s and Reagan’s videos contain idyllic Americana visuals that make audiences truly proud to be from the U.S. of A. In the background, Cruz narrated his call to action to the American people:

“It’s going to take a new generation of courageous conservatives to help make America great again, and I’m ready to stand with you to lead the fight.”

This is the kind of message America needs right now. With the constant threat of terrorism, perpetual bickering within our legislative branch and tragedies left and right, the American people need to feel as though someone is out there to save this country from falling off the deep end. Although I don’t think Cruz will prove victorious, this message sure made me hopeful.

The past week, speculation was whirling that Cruz was going to announce his candidacy in the near future. And there doesn’t seem to be a consensus if Cruz would make a good nominee. Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said that Cruz is a “very viable candidate” on CNN’s “State of the Union,” however on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” Gov. Jerry Brown (D-Calif.) said Cruz is “absolutely unfit” to run.

Unfit is definitely not the word I would use to describe Cruz’s capability to run for president. If I could list all of the accomplishments he has under his belt, it would go on longer than a grocery list. But, as I’ve said in previous columns, multiple factors need to be taken into account when it comes time for the party to make its nomination decision. The GOP must consider what candidate will be perceived well by both the public and the media, who can captivate the lacking demographics and have the ability to crush Hillary Clinton in the polls.

Cruz undeniably holds strong conservative values, however some of said values and his public image may cost him. He’s perceived as a far-right Tea Party Conservative, and when people think “Tea Party” they think crazy. The biggest thing that will get Cruz is his stance on gay marriage: he believes in traditional marriage, however he believes it should be left to the states to decide. Compared to the other conservatives who are likely to run for president, this is a moderate stance, but it’s not enough to win over the young voters essential to any candidate’s victory in 2016.

In all honesty, the winner of the GOP nomination is going to be a toss up. According to an article from The Hill, there are over 20 Republican presidential hopefuls, all of whom range politically, demographically and socially. The nominee depends on what the GOP prioritizes this election season, whether it’s preserving conservative values, garnering youth support, rebranding the party or finding an all-encompassing candidate.

And the GOP won’t find that in Ted Cruz.

Vanessa Salman is a sophomore policy studies major. Her column appears weekly. She can be contacted via email at vksalman@syr.edu or on Twitter @VanessaSalman.