Women's lacrosse

Syracuse pulls away from Louisville for 16-8 win, ends 2-game losing streak

The first 25 minutes of Syracuse’s game against Louisville were competitive.

UofL answered attack Halle Majorana’s opening goal with one of its own.

It answered the Orange’s three-goal run with one of its own.

But it couldn’t answer the seven straight goals SU would score at the end of the first half and beginning of the second.

Syracuse closed out Atlantic Coast Conference regular-season play with a 16-8 win, snapping a two-game losing streak. The seven-goal run buried the Cardinals, and attack Kayla Treanor, who tied her season-high with seven points, helped the No. 9 Orange (10-6, 3-4 ACC) hand the No. 14 Cardinals (9-6, 1-5) their third straight loss Thursday afternoon in Louisville, Kentucky.

SU rode the seven-goal streak that spanned the last 5:18 of the first half and the first 6:36 of the second half. Attack Kailah Kempney kicked off the run with an unassisted goal, and then attack Riley Donahue fueled the run. Donahue assisted on the next three goals and scored the last goal of the run with 23:24 left in the second half.

Louisville midfielder Cortnee Daley ended the streak 21 seconds later, but the goal only provided a break between SU’s seven-goal run and another three-goal stretch. At the end of the three-goal spurt, SU held a 14-5 lead.

Treanor scored two more goals to finish SU’s scoring with 4:18 left in the game.

The Orange will face Albany (11-2, 3-1 America East) on Sunday at 1 p.m. in the Carrier Dome.