New York State

Howie Hawkins discusses New York state’s ban on fracking

Spencer Bodian | Staff Photographer

Howie Hawkins, then a Green Party candidate for New York governor, speaks at the divestment rally on the Quad on Sept. 30, 2014.

A ban on high-volume hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, became official in the state of New York on Monday.

The seven-year review of the drilling process designed to recover gas and oil from shale rock by injecting a high-pressured chemical solution into the ground was concluded when the state Department of Environmental Conservation issued a final document ending the practice in the state.

The Daily Orange spoke with Howie Hawkins, a Green Party Candidate for New York Governor in 2010 and 2014 who campaigned on a banning of fracking, about the ban.

The Daily Orange: What does this decision mean for the state of New York?

Howie Hawkins: We are going to focus on renewable energy, which is what we should be doing.

The D.O.: Why is that?

H.H.: We are in a climate crisis. We are in an affordability crisis at state level. We need to cut the electric brakes by using renewable fuel and wind energy. Unfortunately by doing so, it doesn’t mean that we still won’t be using some from other states who do practice fracking because we still bring in from other states supplies and such things.

The D.O.: What are the costs of these efforts to the citizens of New York?

H.H.: The cost to the customer will be half if renewable fuel is used instead of gas. If we were to continue with fracking, it would create an infrastructure that we would be dependent on for the next two to three decades. There has been research that backs these statements up. It will be less expensive to convert to solar and wind energy in addition to renewable fuel than to continue using gas for energy.

The D.O.: Do you think the decision will be overturned by companies who rely on fracking?

H.H.: No, the decision will not be overturned. Market forces for renewable energy will make it work.

The D.O.: Will this decision lead to more states following in New York’s steps?

H.H.: This is a state by state battle, but the conversation on bans on fracking is going national. New York is setting an example that it can work, but many states will resist.