city

Syracuse Police officer reportedly shoots suspect who attempted to strike officers with car during arrest

UPDATED: July 23, 2015 at 4:02 p.m.

A Syracuse Police Department detective reportedly shot a suspect Wednesday afternoon while fearing for his life and for the safety of other detectives in the area during an attempted arrest.

At about 2:25 p.m. Wednesday SPD detectives were conducting a street-level narcotics investigation when they observed a drug transaction occur around the 100 block of Lexington Ave. As detectives attempted to arrest the suspect, identified as Kadeem Arrindell-Martin, who had sold drugs to another person, the suspect attempted to flee by driving his vehicle into an unmarked police car and then continued by driving in reverse in the direction of at least one SPD detective who was on foot, according to an SPD report posted on the department’s Facebook page.

When the suspect attempted to hit one or more detectives with his vehicle, a detective then shot at the suspect, hitting him at least one time, according to the report.

The suspect, a 24-year-old man, was apprehended on scene and given first-aid by detectives. He was then taken to Upstate University Hospital where he underwent surgery and is currently listed in critical condition, according to the report.

The suspect has been charged with attempted aggravated assault on a police officer, criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree and unlawfully fleeing a police officer in the third degree, according to the report.

This investigation is ongoing and more charges are to be announced, according to the report.