Countdown to Camp

No. 1: Terrel Hunt at the helm

Sam Maller | Staff Photographer

Terrel Hunt did play in the Notre Dame game (pictured) but missed the final seven games of the 2014 season with a fractured fibula.

With Syracuse football training camp arriving Saturday, The Daily Orange beat writers, Sam Blum, Jesse Dougherty, Matt Schneidman and Paul Schwedelson, will reveal the top 15 preseason storylines with a new one every other day. Make sure to check dailyorange.com and click here to see all the posts as we count down to camp.

This one’s simple.

There are a lot of factors at play for Syracuse’s offense, and the program’s overall prospects for 2015, heading into training camp. None are more important than quarterback Terrel Hunt, who will be most responsible for carrying out Tim Lester’s new system and avenging a dismal showing by the Orange offense last season.

Hunt is coming off a season cut seven games short by a fractured fibula. It was supposed to be his first full year as SU’s starter, but now he’s taking the reigns amid an offensive transition that will, at least at first, be as successful as his arm and legs.

This time last year, Hunt was readying to push the buttons for a George McDonald offense advertised as “full-bore” fast. Now he’s working with Lester, his old position coach, and hopes to be more of a pocket passer in Lester’s offense. Lester has said that he wants a strong running game to set up the passing game, and that Hunt is a good fit for what he’s envisioning from a play-calling perspective.

Of course Hunt isn’t the only player who needs to excel for the Syracuse offense to. The offensive line has to stay healthy, the running backs need to step up, and sophomores Ervin Philips and Steve Ishmael will have a lot on their playmaking plates.

But unless Hunt stays healthy, leads the offense and then produces tangible results, the Orange will have trouble taking any steps forward.