Recruiting

Robert Washington reportedly decommitted due to trust issues with SU coaching staff

Four-star Class of 2016 running back Robert Washington decommitted from Syracuse due to trust issues with the coaching staff according to multiple reports.

He asked SU running backs coach DeAndre Smith to stop contacting his father, Robert Washington Sr., but Smith continued regardless, Stephen Bailey of Syracuse.com reported on Sunday evening.

“I told DeAndre to stop talking to my dad, he did it anyway so I just felt like I couldn’t trust him,” Washington told Syracuse.com. “Trust is a big thing for me and he lost my trust.”

If Washington would have stayed with the Orange, he’d be the fourth four-star running back Syracuse has signed in the past 10 years. He chose SU’s offer instead of one from Alabama, Michigan, Florida, Texas Christian, North Carolina and 35 more schools. He was told by Syracuse coaches that he’d be the only running back in the 2016 class.

News of Washington’s decommitment first came out on Sunday but he decommitted earlier this summer, according to multiple reports.

Washington created a new Twitter account on Sunday morning and tweeted that his old one had been hacked by Washington Sr.

Two days prior to Washington’s commitment to Syracuse in April, he told Syracuse.com that his father “does not know what’s going on,” after Washington Sr. was quoted in a Syracuse.com article saying SU fans, “don’t have to worry,” about his son’s decision.

Syracuse’s 2016 recruiting class is now down to 14 verbal commits.