Training Camp

Senior DT John Raymon ‘week-to-week’ with upper-body injury

Jesse Dougherty | Web Editor

John Raymon, the only experienced upperclassman on the defensive line, was limited again during Wednesday's open portion of practice.

Updated at 7:37 p.m.

Syracuse has seven interior defensive linemen on its roster, and the only experienced upperclassman is senior John Raymon.

Raymon is, according to SU head coach Scott Shafer, “week-to-week” with an upper-body injury four days into SU’s preseason training camp. In the first 20 minutes of practice open to the media on Tuesday and Wednesday, Raymon stretched during defensive line drills on Tuesday and worked one-on-one with defensive coordinator Chuck Bullough on Wednesday.

With Bullough, the 6-foot-5, 308-pound Raymon stood behind five orange barrels serving as a makeshift offensive line and walked through details of SU’s defensive schemes.

“He’ll be back, it’s just a matter of how quickly he heals up,” Shafer said of Raymon, who is listed as the Orange’s first-team defensive tackle on its preseason depth chart. “And in the past John’s healed really fast so hopefully those genetics continue to take over.”

Since transferring from Iowa before the 2012 season, Raymon has played in 12 games across two seasons. He missed the last six games in 2013 after suffering a season-ending right knee injury against Georgia Tech, then played five games in the middle of last season before suffering a lower-body injury against N.C. State.

On Tuesday night, defensive line coach Tim Daoust deferred comment on Raymon’s status to Shafer. Daoust did, however, express high expectations for Raymon heading into the rest of training camp and eventually the 2015 season.

“It’s time to go all in and he’s seen other people ahead of him do that,” Daoust said. “I’ve been fortunate to have some good ones play that role, and now he sees it as his chance to play that role.”