Fast Forward Syracuse

Updated travel, entertainment policy to save SU $2 million

A new travel and entertainment policy that is set to go into effect at Syracuse University on Tuesday will save the university an estimated $2 million annually.

As part of the new policy, BTI The Travel Consultants has been named the university’s travel management partner for airline tickets, hotels and car rentals, according to an SU News release. SU will also implement Concur, an online travel portal available 24/7, for domestic and international travel, according to the release.

The policy affects faculty, staff and students who travel in official university capacities and need to be reimbursed, according to the release.

The revised policy is a part of the Operational Excellence component of Chancellor Kent Syverud’s Fast Forward initiative. The initiative has three components—the Academic Strategic Plan, the Campus Master Plan and Operational Excellence. SU announced in July the completion of the Academic Strategic Plan.

Jaclyn Grosso, executive director of communications and public relations for Fast Forward Syracuse, said in an email that the policy fits into the Operational Excellence program because it will help achieve immediate cost savings for the university.

A number of other large, private research institutions, including Cornell University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, have implemented mandated travel policies and are using Concur for online travel booking, according to benchmarking efforts led by the Fast Forward Syracuse travel and entertainment initiative team.

Grosso added that by booking through Concur and its online portal, SU will be able to better manage its travel spending.

“A revised travel policy will offer concise, one-stop travel assistance that allows the University to achieve greater negotiated rates with preferred vendors,” said Douglas Freeman, director of purchasing and real estate and initiative team manager, in the SU News release. “The addition of per diem options, which are daily allowances for expenses, will create more efficiencies and flexibility for travelers.”

Training and information sessions for the revised policy will be held on Sept. 24 and Sept. 25 from 10:30 a.m. to noon and 2-3:30 p.m. on both days.