Weekend Plans

Weekend plans: Super Bowl, Mardi Gras party, film festival

Devyn Passaretti | Head Illustrator

From the Super Bowl to Caribbean Cinematic Festival, there are plenty of events to fill your weekend with.

Caribbean Cinematic Festival

caribbean-film-web
Devyn Passaretti | Head Illustrator

Despite its title, this festival will bring films from all over the world — coming from the likes of Venezuela, Guadeloupe and the United Kingdom — but they all share their focus on Caribbean culture and identity. On Sunday during the festival, there will be a brunch catered by local restaurant Jerk Hut. The event will be at the Community Folk Art Center this weekend through Sunday. The complete schedule of all nine films can be accessed on the Community Folk Art Center’s website.

Orange After Dark Flashback Friday Movie: “GoldenEye”

If you’re feeling a movie night but want to watch something more exciting than the screen of your laptop, head to HBC Gifford Auditorium Friday night for a movie theater experience on campus. Orange After Dark will be screening the 1995 film “GoldenEye,” a James Bond action thriller. Doors will open at 11:30 p.m. and the movie will begin at midnight.

SKY Armory Mardi Gras party

032415_P_Drinks_FrankiePrijatel_PE
Frankie Prijatel | Staff Photographer

Get in the Mardi Gras spirit this weekend by attending SKY Armory’s party Saturday night. There will be live music performed by the local band Brass Inc and dancing. Food and drinks will be served á la carte, with a Mardi Gras-themed menu and special drinks. The menu features entrees such as Crawfish Etouffe and Jambalaya, and some of the special mixed drinks created by their bartenders include “Voodoo Breeze” and “Cajun Hurricane.” SKY Armory is a three-floor event venue located on the corner of S. Clinton Street and Walton Street. The event lasts from 4-10 p.m. and to tickets cost $10.

Super Bowl

Whether you’re rooting for the Broncos, the Panthers or don’t care too much either way, don’t miss out on this year’s Super Bowl festivities. If you have a kitchen, try making some new recipes to enjoy during the game. Check out these recipes for creative alternatives to hot wings — like meatball sub cupcakes, chili lime nacho mozzarella sticks and honey mustard fried chicken sliders.