Tennis

Syracuse tennis defeats Pittsburgh, 6-1, to extend win streak to 3

Eddie Natal | Staff Photographer

Valeria Salazar won both her singles and doubles matches in a 6-1 win over Pittsburgh on Friday.

No. 32 Syracuse (11-6, 5-6 Atlantic Coast) continued its strong play in April with a dominant 6-1 win over Pittsburgh (7-10, 1-10 Atlantic Coast) on Friday at the Alpha Tennis and Fitness Center in Pittsburgh in the first game of its three game road trip.

After dropping five in a row in March, Syracuse has won three straight and is still undefeated in April.

Syracuse started out the day by winning two out of its three doubles matches. The duo of Valeria Salazar and Gabriela Knutson continued their strong play with a 6-1 victory in doubles and Maria Tritou and Nicole Mitchell won their doubles match 6-2. Anna Shkudun and Dina Hegab lost their doubles match 5-2.

Salazar and Knutson as well as Tritou brought their doubles success to their singles matches. Salazar won her match in straight sets 6-3, 6-3. Knutson also won back-to-back sets, 7-6, 7-6. And so did Tritou, who won 6-1 and 6-4.

Libi Mesh, who has also had a strong April, won her match by identical scores of 6-4 and 6-4.

Shkudun, who hadn’t won a singles match since March 13 at Clemson, won in three sets after losing the first set 6-0.

The only point Pitt would receive was a 6-1, 7-5 singles defeat of Hegab by Amber Washington.

Syracuse continues its road trip at Louisville (7-12, 0-9 Atlantic Coast) on Sunday at 11 a.m.