Tennis

Maria Tritou looks to rebound from losing 10 straight sets heading into NCAA tournament

Zach Barlow | Asst. Photo Editor

Maria Tritou has struggled in singles matches recently. She's lost 10 in a row.

Maria Tritou jerked her head back, swung her racket through the air and let out a moan. She had just lost a point against Virginia Tech’s Kelly Williford and the match unraveled from there.

The 6-2, 7-5 loss to Williford was Tritou’s third in a row and she’s lost twice more since.

You feel like you are right there. Maybe if you do something different you would turn things around. That’s the most frustrating.
Maria Tritou

Tritou hasn’t been blown out during this stretch, but she’s lost 10 straight sets. With chances to turn matches around, she hasn’t scored key points to get the victories she’s looking for. And as Syracuse (14-8, 7-7 Atlantic Coast) preps for a first-round match against Georgia State (15-5, 4-0 Sun Belt) in the NCAA tournament on Friday in Gainesville, Florida, Tritou hopes to turn her game around. 22916_TennisGamer_ZachBarlow_APE_Web Zach Barlow| Asst. Photo Editor

The freshman’s season got off to hot start with wins in six of her first seven matches. But since then she’s cooled off as the Orange dug deeper into conference play. Tritou is now 9-12 in singles play on the season.

Her doubles partner, Nicole Mitchell, has helped her improve during practice by forcing her not to rush and play the baseline-centered game that’s been a key part of her game, Tritou said. By working in doubles, Tritou can simulate similar motions to her singles play as she hones her forehand and backhand strokes from the baseline, where she is most successful.

“I’ve had some good matches with (Mitchell),” Tritou said. “(We’ve) been working on consistency and getting extra (points).”

Tritou cited the level of competition as a large factor in her recent slump as well as the adjustment to playing in humid, thick air that Syracuse is not accustomed to. Both have contributed to her on-court struggles.

She lost on the road against No. 7 Miami in Coral Gables, Florida and the outdoor conditions affected her, Tritou said. But it’s an experience that she can draw from, she added, as Syracuse gets ready to play in Florida once again.

Four of Tritou’s last five losses have come against teams that were ranked inside the top 35, but her coaches think it will help her when SU faces Georgia State, which is ranked No. 45.

“I played with really solid girls like they were really good. I did my best,” Tritou said. “They were just better in getting the important points and that made the difference.

“But, I can always do better of course.”

Tritou’s recent losses could have gone either way, SU head coach Younes Limam said. One mistake such as hitting a ball long against Virginia Tech or fatigue setting in during the ACC tournament made all the difference.

Even in defeat, Tritou has made recent improvements that will pay off in the future, Limam said.

“She has played with more intensity from start to finish, and … has (aimed for more consistency),” said Limam. “She is using her serve better and more strategically, not hitting the serve to the same place every time.”

With a week to go until the NCAA Tournament, Limam thinks Tritou is ready to turn the corner.

He continues to remind his players to live and play in the moment. Tritou has been frustrated, but with the season on the line, there’s no time to be.

“It doesn’t matter if things are happening in a positive or negative way, just have a short memory,” Limam said. “You don’t have too much time between points so you’ve got to be positive.”