NBA Draft: The case for picking Michael Gbinije

Jessica Sheldon | Photo Editor

Michael Gbinije was Syracuse's most consistent player this past season. Will his performance convince an NBA team to take him in Thursday's draft?

Michael Gbinije was by far the most consistent player for Syracuse all season. He scored in double digits in all 37 games and according to head coach Jim Boeheim, made the biggest improvement over the course of his career of any player in the head coach’s 40-year tenure.

Since the 24-year-old isn’t among the top prospects, and wasn’t even considered a fringe first-round selection during the NBA Draft Combine on May 11, he participated in the 5-on-5 scrimmages that first-rounders rarely play in. He shined during the two-day event, arguably helping his stock more than any participating player.

His positional versatility, improved shooting percentages and five years experience in college are all check marks that validate a team taking him in the beginning of the second round and possible even the tail end of the first of Thursday’s NBA Draft.

The case against taking Gbinije will be published on Saturday.

AM_60661

Role play

Atop Boeheim’s 2-3 zone isn’t the only place lanky point guards can find a home. There’s certainly room for a long-armed ball-handler in the NBA as well, and Gbinije showed a proficiency in scoring off the dribble and off-ball in addition to running the point far more effectively as the season progressed.

At the beginning of the year, Gbinije struggled to protect the ball against smaller guards that got under him on defense. If he stays at the position, he’ll face guards of similar heights and higher defensive prowess, so it’s to his advantage that Gbinije grew to stave off pesky opponents.

He also played off ball during the combine, which he’d be equipped to doing in the NBA given his increasing role at the spot as Frank Howard established himself as a reliable point guard.

MORE COVERAGE:

Target practice

Gbinije played less than three minutes more per game in his senior year than his junior campaign, but took 188 more shots and 108 more 3-pointers in 2015-16.

His percentages from both stayed nearly the same despite the increase of shots, and Gbinije also shot nearly 10 percent better from the foul line. The marked improvements from the field and the line can only help as he heads into the draft. Critics will knock his age, but the fact that his fifth year helped refine his shot into an NBA-caliber one will play to his advantage.

Gbinije’s shooting stroke, along with his stature and potential draft spot, closely resemble that of San Antonio forward Kyle Anderson. The former UCLA point guard stands 6-foot-9 and was taken No. 30 overall in 2014, but his versatility and frame have allowed him to contribute in a couple roles for one of the league’s best teams. The 6-foot-7 Gbinije could possibly do the same if taken in the back end of the first round.

Paid his dues

In the age of the one-and-done, a 24-year-old is hardly enticing when teenagers with sky-high potential litter the first round of the draft. But even if Gbinije is currently five years older than projected top pick Ben Simmons, there’s still value in a college graduate come draft night.

This year, three seniors in Buddy Hield, Brice Johnson and Denzel Valentine could be taken in the lottery. In the case of Hield and Valentine, it’s evident that there’s still value in an established shooter who has improved significantly over his college career.

If teams toward the back end of the first round and into the first few picks of the second value that, then Gbinije should be in good shape Thursday night.