Countdown to Camp 2016

Syracuse football preseason player file No. 1: Eric Dungey

Eric Dungey suffered several injuries following hits to the head. His sophomore year is a chance for him to break out for a full season.

Syracuse football training camp opens Saturday. The Daily Orange beat writers, Chris Libonati, Jon Mettus and Matt Schneidman, analyzed the top 10 preseason storylines and top 10 position battle heading into camp. Here are the final three of 10 player files in the series. Check out dailyorange.com and follow along here to countdown to camp.

Eric Dungey

Position: Quarterback
Year: Sophomore
Ht: 6-3
Wt: 212

All the hype that surrounds the debut of Dino Babers’ fast-paced offense brings with it anticipation for what Eric Dungey can do in his sophomore season.

The quarterback showed his potential last year, commanding the passing game and sprinting for long gains. But his high risk, high reward playing style (mostly when it came to scrambling) subjected Dungey to several hits to the head and led to four games on the sidelines because of “upper-body” injuries.

MORE PRESEASON PLAYER FILES:

In the spring, Dungey claimed that he’ll be smarter when it comes to running. He’s trying to put on weight to get to 225 pounds by the start of the season.

Dungey threw for 1,298 yards — the most by an SU true freshman — and 11 touchdowns in 2015. He also ran for 351 yards and five scores over his eight games (seven starts). He wasn’t even supposed to start as a freshman, but was thrown into the fire when Terrell Hunt suffered a season-ending injury in the season opener.

ESPN’s Andrea Adelson called Dungey the fifth most likely player to throw for more than 3,000 yards, citing Babers’ history of having a 3,000-plus yard thrower in each of his four years as a head coach. Athlon Sports ranked Dungey No. 9 in its list of breakout QBs for 2016.

Read more about Eric Dungey: