Tyler Lydon announces he will enter 2017 NBA Draft

Lydon finished the year averaging 13.2 points per game and a team-high 8.6 rebounds per game.

Syracuse sophomore Tyler Lydon will enter the NBA Draft, he announced in a tweet Wednesday night. The 6-foot-9 forward’s announcement confirms what was reported on Monday, that he’d leave the Orange.

Players can retain NCAA eligibility by declaring for the NBA Draft until April 23, with the ability to withdraw until May 24. But signing with an agent immediately forfeits a player’s remaining NCAA eligibility.

SU head coach Jim Boeheim said he disagreed with Lydon’s decision to leave college early. He said Lydon had an “average year” and could improve his draft stock by returning. Lydon is projected in most mock drafts to be taken toward the end of the first round.

“He didn’t demonstrate this year that he can be a lottery pick,” Boeheim said, “but next year I know he can be. That’s what I told him. I think he can come back here and demonstrate that he can be a lottery pick.

“I think it’s a better way to go to the NBA. You make money, they draft you high, they play you. Half the picks between 20 and 30 are out of the league within three years.”