Beat writers all predict a low-scoring matchup between Syracuse and Connecticut

Courtesy of UConn Athletics

The two former Big East rivals will square off Tuesday night in Madison Square Garden.

Syracuse (6-1) takes on Connecticut (6-2) on Tuesday night at 9 p.m. at Madison Square Garden. Last season, Syracuse dropped its matchup with UConn, 52-50. But after a loss to No. 2 Kansas in Miami on Saturday, our beat writers predict that SU will be able to rebound and pick up a win over its former Big East rival.

Sam Fortier (7-0)
U’conned
Syracuse 66, UConn 54

Connecticut is struggling right now, more the team that Arkansas blew out by 35 than the team that upset Oregon in the PK80 Invitational. Syracuse will handle the Huskies because it has a tremendous size and talent advantage on the inside that becomes problematic for a team oriented on smaller guards. To further complicate things: The UConn guards rely on dribble penetration to create, but the Orange’s rim protectors will likely force them to settle from the outside, where the Huskies are hitting 30.4 percent of their shots, among the lowest rates in the nation. Syracuse wants to win on defense this season, and it will against UConn.

Matthew Gutierrez (7-0)
Family, religion & Big East basketball
Syracuse 60, UConn 53

After watching Jim Valvano’s wonderful speech, the Orange comes out repowered after an awakening of sorts against No. 2 Kansas. Limited warm-up time on a neutral floor between a pair of so-so offenses means this will be a close one, similar to last year’s 52-50 UConn win. The Huskies needed overtime to beat both Columbia and Monmouth, which means they are vulnerable. Save for the powerful Kansas offense, the Syracuse defense has been quality this year and will hold off Connecticut for a solid win in New York.

Tomer Langer (7-0)
Tri-State Area’s college team
Syracuse 68, UConn 60

The Huskies just don’t shoot the ball very well, as they’ve hit at just a 41 percent clip as a team so far this year. There’s not much from deep either as Sam mentioned. Last year’s game was an ugly slugfest, and if this year’s game ends up like that, then Syracuse can be in trouble. But I think we see just enough from Frank Howard and Tyus Battle — similar to the first few minutes of the second half against Kansas — for the Orange to get the job done.