screen time column

The definitive rankings of the top 5 Marvel Cinematic Universe films

Courtesy of Marvel Studios

Robert Downey Jr. plays Tony Stark in the Marvel Studios franchise "Iron Man" and his character is the leader in "Avengers: Infinity War," which is set to be released next week.

Marvel will release “Avengers: Infinity War,” the culmination of its 18 prior films, on April 27. In what will be an unprecedented event, this film will combine characters from each of its earlier films to create an ensemble piece — the likes of which have never been seen.

Now, I could go on about the importance of this film for fan culture or for the future of film, but we all know this movie could be huge. The most important thing to know going into this movie is what led up to it. Watching 18 movies is a bit of a task, but Marvel has provided a rich canon of films leading up to “Infinity War” with quite a range in quality.

But if you really don’t want to watch all 18, here’s the OFFICIAL top five ranking of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. If you watch these and disagree with this list, that just means you’re incorrect. Strap in for what should be a hulk of a list… no pun intended.

captain-america-marvel

Courtesy of Marvel Studios

5: CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER

Both Captain America sequels are winners, but I give “The Winter Soldier” a slight edge. This film featured stunning fight choreography and a unique plot that transcended the superhero film and acted more as a political drama. This was one of the more mature entries in the Marvel cannon, one not at all harmed by a healthy dose of Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury.

black-panther-marvel

Courtesy of Marvel Studios

4: BLACK PANTHER

Have you heard of this movie? People seemed to enjoy it! I, personally, found it more culturally significant than effective as a movie, but to call this film anything less than a sensation would be a disservice. Ultimately, “Black Panther” is not a superhero film, but a family drama akin to Hamlet dealing with royalty and legacy. This was a stirring depiction of a complex character, and while it might be a bigger deal in pop culture than the film warrants, it’s still a wonderful film.

gg-marvels

Courtesy of Marvel Studios

3: GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

“Guardians of the Galaxy” is the shining example, in my mind, of Marvel’s effectiveness. It can take these barely appreciated characters from the comics, pair them with the right filmmaker in James Gunn and create a rich and lasting movie. The aesthetic is incredibly original, the music is fantastic and the film is often laugh-out-loud funny.

This also is not really a superhero film, but rather a postmodern “Star Wars” for the superhero age. This film makes me laugh, makes me cry and makes me think. That’s all we can ask for in a movie.

ironman-marvel

Courtesy of Marvel Studios

2: IRON MAN

“Iron Man” will be remembered as one of the most important movies of its decade for launching this franchise, and more importantly, it’s a great action film on its own. Robert Downey Jr. revived his career in one performance, and here is an original plot brought to life with excellent action sequences.

avengers_marvelstudio

Courtesy of Marvel Studios

1: THE AVENGERS

“Iron Man” launched the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but “The Avengers” took the franchise into the stratosphere. When “The Avengers” came out, this was the first we had seen of this kind of film, bringing together characters from past films to create an ultimate event. Quite frankly, we haven’t seen something so impressive in scale since, and “Infinity War” might be the film to top it.

I will never forget watching “The Avengers” in theaters, knowing I was witnessing something unprecedented and amazing. You could feel it in the air: this is why we come to the movies.