Summer Guide 2019

‘Jazz on Tap’ event series to feature local jazz musicians

Courtesy of Ronnie Leigh

Ronnie Leigh is a solo jazz artist and has been performing at the “Jazz on Tap” event for the last three years.

For the remaining weeks of May and June, “Jazz on Tap” will take place from 2-5 p.m. every other Sunday at Finger Lakes On Tap Brewpub, a restaurant in Skaneateles. The event features local jazz musicians as well as food and drinks.

Central New York Jazz Arts Foundation foresees that dozens of groups will be coming out during this event series and anticipates different groups weekly, said Larry Luttinger, executive director of the organization.

Luttinger described people’s affinity for jazz during the summer as one that is “environmental.”

“Jazz is definitely popular all year round and presented just as well,” he said. “However, during summer there is something so great about the outdoor aspect.”

One of the artists performing this year at the event is the Jon LeRoy Trio. The group is named after founding member, Jon LeRoy. LeRoy said he met his current drummer and bassist in 1997 when they worked in a sheet music store together. The three started playing professionally in 1999 in the Albany area.

Born and raised in Liverpool, LeRoy said he enjoys the atmosphere the Jazz on Tap event offers. He also extends his love for playing jazz in New York because of the diversity he finds in each area.

“Every area is so different. In Syracuse back in the day there were lots of places to play; clubs, steak houses,” he said. “I then played more in Albany. Albany has so many connecting areas, you can get over to different areas quickly.”

Another artist who will be performing at “Jazz on Tap” is Ronnie Leigh. As a one-man production with a career spanning five decades, Leigh sticks mainly to piano and vocals. Born in Albany, he began playing music as a kid listening to the vinyl records that family members played — including ones by artists like Miles Davis, and Nancy Wilson.

Leigh said he has traveled all over the United States and Canada performing music for more than 20 years, but he said he has no favorite place to perform. Leigh said things can change day by day on a personal and spiritual level, adding that he just loves to perform and engage with the audience.

“Nothing is better than just baring your soul on that stage”

– Ronnie Leigh

“Nothing is better than just baring your soul on that stage,” he said.

Leigh has been coming to “Jazz On Tap” for the past three years and is looking forward to being there and seeing his fellow performers.

“Jazz is a freedom of expression; it represents trials and all sorts of things going on,” Leigh said, “jazz truly is a journey, it is very spiritual music. Where it came from, what it is doing today and how folks use it or abuse it … it means an awful lot. I try to speak truth to jazz music everyday.”