on campus

Possible 3-year housing requirement sparks concern among student leaders

Corey Henry | Photo Editor

The university’s student survey included more than 100 questions.

Syracuse University sent a survey last week gauging student opinions on campus housing. One question has sparked concerns among past and current Student Association leaders. 

The survey contained a question asking students if they would support a three-year live-on policy if the on-campus residential experience was “transformed to meet the needs of contemporary college students.” SU currently requires students to live on campus for two years.

In interviews with The Daily Orange, current and former Student Association leaders expressed concerns over the effects that the potential policy would bring, citing financial inaccessibility, negative mental health impacts and an overall decrease in the student experience.

“We don’t think that a three-year housing requirement is beneficial to the student body,” said current President Mackenzie Mertikas.

Ghufran Salih, a former SA president, detailed difficulties that came from living in residence halls her freshman and sophomore year. She downgraded her meal plan during her sophomore year, and at points struggled to get by with food, she said.

She was often one of the few students of color on the floor of her dorm and found more comfort living in her off-campus house. Salih described living on campus as an “uncomfortable, restrictive environment.”

“A three-year housing requirement would unambiguously hurt students in so many different ways,” said former SA Vice President Kyle Rosenblum.

The survey included more than 100 questions in total. It asked for student feedback on current dormitory conditions, satisfaction with current on- and off-campus living situations and how the university can improve the on-campus living experience, among other topics.

SU is conducting a housing review meant to help determine future needs for students living on campus. The review is guided by input received during the 2019-20 academic year, SU announced in July. The university’s housing survey closed on Monday at 11:59 p.m.

As part of the survey, SU outlined potential on-campus housing options that participants were asked to choose from.

The lowest price per individual was for a traditional, shared room at $920 to $970 per month. The most expensive was for a two-bedroom apartment with private bedrooms, priced at $1,290 to $1,380 per month. The rates include utility expenses, according to the survey.

Prices did not include the cost of a meal plan, which SU students are required to have if they live in on-campus residence halls. Meal plans ranged from $2,070 to $4,635 per semester for SU students enrolled in fall 2018 or later.

Amir Rahnamay-Azar, SU’s senior vice president and chief financial officer, said in an emailed statement to The D.O. that the university is gathering information to enrich the campus environment in an emailed statement. Brailsford & Dunlavey, a consulting firm specializing in higher education facilities, developed the survey.

rfb__dountgraph

Karleigh Merritt-Henry | Digital Design Editor

The D.O. asked an SU spokesperson how long SU has considered implementing a three year live-on policy and how seriously the idea is being considered at the moment.

During the Campus Framework development process, which began nearly five years ago, feedback from students demonstrated an interest in living on campus to be closer to resources and services,” said Rahnamay-Azar in his statement.

Additional student housing is a priority in SU’s Campus Framework Plan, a 20-year initiative meant to transform the university’s campus. At a Campus Framework open forum in February 2017, Vice Chancellor and Provost Michele Wheatly said the university was in early discussions of a three-year, on-campus living requirement.

Wheatly cited findings from a 2014 MyCampus survey that stated students liked living on campus to better access resources. She also referred to research showing that students who live on campus longer tend to have higher retention rates and perform better in classes.

James Franco, SA president during the 2017-18 academic year, initiated a conversation on three-year housing at one of the monthly meetings he attended with Chancellor Kent Syverud and other officials, he said. Franco heard rumors at the time about SU implementing the policy, but he said the university wasn’t seriously considering the policy.

“They never treated it as a serious thing that they were considering, because it was a pretty strong student stance that it was a ‘no’ from the student body,” Franco said.

Ben Tupper, owner of student housing rental company Rent From Ben, administered a survey last semester about a potential three-year housing requirement to 714 respondents. When asked if a requirement is beneficial to college students, 1.3% responded yes, 93% responded no and 5.7% responded “maybe.”

Salih and Rosenblum, who led SA during the 2018-2019 academic year, discussed the three-year housing with administrators during the fall. Other campus issues began to unfold, such as the Greek life review and the transfer student experience, and the discussions died down, they said. Mertikas and current Vice President Sameeha Saied have had no formal talks so far with administrators about the policy, they said.

“We would definitely hope to be involved in that conversation,” Mertikas said.

-Asst. News Digital Editor Natalie Rubio-Licht contributed reporting to this story.