In wake of rising hate crimes in U.S., SU is ‘looking into’ student reports of being targeted in classrooms

Meghan Hendricks | Senior Staff Photographer

Ritter and Groves also wrote that individual faculty and department statements are not reflective of the university’s official position.

Syracuse University leadership announced in a campus-wide email Friday that the university is “looking into” a “small number of classroom interactions” where students felt unfairly targeted in the wake of Hamas’ Oct. 7 attack and rising antisemitism and Islamophobia in the United States.

“The University takes these reports seriously … and will take appropriate action if warranted,” Provost Gretchen Ritter and Senior Vice President Allen Groves wrote in the email.

The Office of Academic Affairs wrote to faculty and staff “calling on them to be mindful in how they engage” students, Vice Chancellor and Chief Academic Officer Ritter and Chief Student Experience Officer Groves wrote.

Ritter and Groves also announced that the Department of Public Safety, in partnership with local and federal law enforcement, has been conducting “security assessments.”

From the partnership, the university is “closely monitoring” activities both on and off campus, according to the email. Where the university deems appropriate, SU will assign additional public safety personnel.

On Oct. 11, Syracuse Hillel and Chabad House Jewish Student Center held a “Peace Vigil for Israel.” On Wednesday, the Muslim Student Association held a “Prayers for Peace” vigil. Both events were held in front of Hendricks Chapel.

An SU spokesperson told The Daily Orange they were not able to provide information regarding where DPS has increased its presence.

This week, the university removed chalk on the Shaw Quadrangle related to the conflict that was in violation of SU policy, according to the email. Ritter and Groves urged students to adhere to SU’s Student Conduct Code when sharing their opinions.

“Our students, faculty and staff can, and often do, hold divergent views on matters of local, national and global importance, and the University continues to reinforce that such disagreements be conducted in a manner that displays good faith and respect,” they wrote.

The email also announced an “Interfaith Vigil for World Peace” on Oct. 25th at 8 p.m. at Hendricks Chapel.

“We believe the free exchange of ideas and constructive public discourse can be valuable in increasing understanding, particularly in times like these,” Ritter and Groves wrote in the email. “But we also believe this is best achieved when done in a respectful manner in which we genuinely listen to each other.”

Ritter and Groves also circulated a series of resources for students, faculty and staff impacted by the Israel-Hamas war. They also asked that if someone has experienced an incident they believe to be motivated by “hostility toward your identity,” they report it using the university’s STOP Bias and Hate website.

“We recognize this is a difficult time for so many in our community and are committed to supporting you, especially those most directly impacted,” Ritter and Groves ended their email. “We have a team of professionals here to support you as we navigate these challenging times together.”