Bias Incidents

DPS reports antisemitic graffiti in Bird Library

Young Bin Lee | Staff Photographer

DPS is actively investigating and is reviewing security camera footage, according to DPS’ bias incident tracker.

Antisemitic graffiti on a first-floor desk in Bird Library was reported earlier this week, Syracuse University’s Department of Public Safety confirmed in a bias incident report Friday.

The graffiti was reported anonymously through the Stop Bias Portal and referred to DPS on Wednesday, according to the report. SU’s Facilities Services proceeded to remove the graffiti.

DPS officers searched Bird Library upon receiving the report and found no additional graffiti.

DPS is actively investigating and is reviewing security camera footage, according to DPS’ bias incident tracker. DPS has notified the Syracuse Police Department and New York State police of the incident.

“In a time of such heightened fear, as a community, we must confront and reject hate and take actions that demonstrate support for and empathy toward those feeling especially vulnerable,” wrote Craig Stone, SU’s chief of campus safety and emergency management services.. “Our investigators are continuing their review of available video footage as we work towards a resolution.”

Students who wish to report a bias incident or to receive support can contact DPS at (315) 443-3514, email stopbias@syr.edu or visit the Stop Bias website. Students can report incidents using the Silent Witness tool or the Orange Safe mobile app.

This story will be updated with additional reporting.